* August 13 update: Due to current health conditions, we will not be able to invite first-year and new transfers to campus for the autumn quarter, as we had hoped. We will continue to offer on-campus housing for students approved to be in residence due to a special circumstance and who continue to wish to be on campus, despite the plan for mostly remote instruction. If public health conditions allow, we plan to invite frosh and new transfer students to campus for the winter quarter.
In order to enroll at Stanford, all new undergraduate first-year and transfer students are required to complete the Approaching Stanford Forms. The information you provide in these forms will be used by university staff to get to know you better and to prepare for your arrival. Housing for new undergraduates is assigned through the Approaching Stanford Forms; do not apply for housing in Axess.
Your SUNet ID and password is required to log in to your forms. Click here to create a SUNet ID. Once your SUNet ID is created, it will take about 24 -48 hours for the system to register it and for your Stanford email and Approaching Stanford Forms to become active.
*** Students Admitted After June 5: Once the Approaching Stanford team receives notification that you have accepted your admission to Stanford, we will contact you by email with a deadline for your Approaching Stanford Forms. It may take 1-2 days for Undergraduate Admission to process your enrollment and notify Approaching Stanford. Therefore, you will be able to access your Approaching Stanford Forms in about 3-5 days from accepting your admission.
Deadline (Forms Close)
|First-Years||May 8, 2020||June 5, 2020 | 12:00 p.m. (PDT)|
|Transfers||June 8, 2020||June 26, 2020 | 12:00 p.m. (PDT)|
- You, the student, must complete your own Approaching Stanford Forms. You may not authorize another individual to complete them on your behalf. Disclosure of your SUNet ID password is not permitted.
- The information that you provide in these forms will be used in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and University policy.
- Complete your forms by the deadline. We do not give any priority to forms submitted before the deadline. Immediately once the deadline has passed, we access the forms and begin the processes for program selections, housing assignments, course assignments, and more. If you do not fully complete the forms by the deadline, we may not be able to consider your preferences nor have critical items such as your Stanford ID Card ready for you when you arrive on Move-In Day.
- If you need a one-time only Two-Step Authentication bypass code, go to accounts.stanford.edu, select "Lost your two-step device" to get your one-time bypass code, and RESET your Two-Step Authentication method. You will only be able to use this option once, so be sure you reset your Two-Step method at accounts.stanford.edu as soon as you gain access to your account. If you lose access to your account a second time, contact Stanford IT by calling (650) 725-4357, Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. If you cannot call them, submit a Help Request but they will still need to talk to you via phone/internet to verify your identity.
- Log in to your Approaching Stanford Forms. You will need to authenticate with your SUNet ID and Two-Step Authentication.
- Read the instructions on each form and complete all forms by the posted deadline. You can work on your forms in any order. You do not have to complete them all at once, just be sure to save frequently. For security reasons, the system will time out after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- Review detailed information about each form. First-year students will also need to read the Thinking Matters Course Descriptions and information about First-Year Housing Options to complete the forms.
- When you are finished, click the 'FIND ERRORS' button at the bottom of the screen to have the system verify that your forms are ready to be submitted. If you receive error messages, please resolve them.
- When all errors have been resolved and you are satisfied with your forms, click the 'SUBMIT FORMS' button at the bottom of the screen. You will receive an email confirmation when your forms have been received. Once you submit them, your forms will be in 'View-Only' format. While you can see your responses, you cannot make any additional edits to your forms.
- Log out of your session to protect the confidentiality of your information, especially if you are using a public terminal.
- There are several forms to complete, so don't wait until the last minute to start. Start early to give yourself time to resolve any questions or form errors.
- Take your time & trust yourself. We encourage you to talk to your future classmates and Stanford adminstrators to ask questions, learn more, and gather various opinions. In the end, make your own decisions for yourself. Everyone has a unique set of interests, experiences, and expectations - you know yourself the best.
- For more information and to ask questions about the Forms, check the Q&A Discussion Boards in Canvas.
- Save your work frequently, especially if you are composing essay responses. You may want to compose your long responses (Letter of Introduction) in a separate document and copy/paste them in when you have finished.
- Upload your Photo as soon as possible to avoid processing delays. Compatible browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome are preferred. Safari is not compatible. Once your photo has been received, it will be reviewed by the ID Card Office and you will receive an email notification within a few business days. You can submit your forms before receiving this email notification.
- If you need to make a change after you have submitted your forms AND the forms deadline has not yet passed, email firstname.lastname@example.org using your Stanford email account (webmail.stanford.edu) and indicate what changes should be made on your behalf.