NSO Move-In Day Information Packet
The 2019 Move-In Day Information Packet will be available on this website by September 1.
- Print this information containing Driving Routes and the NSO Arrival Day Parking Pass. Read it carefully and, if anyone is accompanying you to campus, share it with them.
- Download the Stanford Mobile app and use the "Map" feature to familiarize yourself with campus.
- This will be a busy morning, with Move-In beginning at 8:00 a.m. Please expect traffic congestion at the residences.
All new students must be checked in by 5:00 p.m. on Move-In Day.
GETTING TO CAMPUS
Directions to Campus
- Review the following websites for driving directions, shuttle service, public transportation options, and more:
- Student Housing, "Getting to Stanford" | Ground transportation options from each of the three nearby airports (SFO, SJC, or OAK) and driving directions.
- Parking & Transportation Services, "Airport Transportation" | Information on getting to campus by public transit and shuttle from the airports. SuperShuttle offers a discount to the Stanford community (save $6 with Stanford discount code).
Review Stanford's Visitor Information website for travel-related information to help you plan your trip to campus:
Directions Around Campus
- Download the Stanford Mobile app and use the "Map" feature to familiarize yourself with the Stanford campus.
- Once you arrive to campus, follow the directional signs for the East Campus and West/Central Campus Driving Routes mapped out in the NSO Move-In Day Information Packet.
- Do NOT use GPS to generate driving directions on this particular day, as some roads will be temporarily one-way to facilitate the flow of move-in traffic.
- SPOT participants will walk from the SPOT campsite to your dorm on Wednesday morning. If anyone will be meeting you, plan to meet them at your dorm.
Checking In at the Residences
- First-year students: check in at your assigned residence.
- Transfer students: check in at Kimball Hall.
- Go to the Check-In Tables to pick up your SUID card, room key, and NSO packet containing your nametag, NSO program, and P.O. Box key. Be ready to show a government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport. If you have already been issued a SUID card, be sure to bring it, as a new card will not be printed.
- NSO volunteers will help you unload your car and carry your belongings to your room. Use the building entrances closest to your room. A few residences have elevators, but most do not.
- A light breakfast will be provided at the residence check-ins.
- All students should plan to move in by 12:00 p.m. so that you can enjoy the day’s activities. To pick up your SUID card, room key, and NSO packet after 12:00 p.m.:
- First-year students should check in at the Housing Front Desk of your residence complex.
- Transfer students should check in at the Gerhard Casper Quad Housing Front Desk.
- All new students are required to check in by 5:00 p.M. If you are unable to arrive by 5:00 p.m. on Move-In Day, you must notify Approaching Stanford (firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 723-7674) in advance to explain your situation.
- Student-Athletes: If you have already moved in, please pick up your NSO packet from your dorm's Check-In Table.
- International Student Orientation participants: You will recieve your NSO packet at ISO check-in.
CAMPUS PARKING ON MOVE-IN DAY
- Display the "NSO Arrival Day Parking Pass (30 minutes)" in your car for temporary parking up to 30 minutes, while unloading at the dorms.
- Please respect and follow instructions from traffic directors and all posted signage. You must not park in front of fire hydrants, FDC pipes, or barricades, cones, caution tape, or other signage indicating that parking is not allowed. Citations may be issued to parked cars blocking these emergency access areas.
- After unloading, move your car to the Galvez Parking Lot (near the Stanford Stadium) for free all-day parking on Move-In Day. Directional signs to the Galvez Lot will be posted around campus.
- Free Marguerite Shuttles will return people from the Galvez Lot to the residences, running every 15-30 minutes until 7:00 p.m. Shuttle stops are marked on the maps.
- If you encounter traffic congestion, you can park temporarily in the Wilbur Field Garage (for Wilbur/Stern) or the Roble Field Garage (for Roble/Lagunita), check in at your residence, and see your room before returning to unload. Your NSO parking pass will be valid in the garages on this day.
CAMPUS PARKING AFTER NSO
Visitor Parking Information
The NSO Arrival Day Parking Pass is valid only on Move-In Day. Parents and family members who wish to park on campus before or after Move-In Day can park at designated visitor parking spaces on campus. Visitors may park by the hour or by the day. Enforcement hours throughout campus are Monday-Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Meters are generally enforced 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted.
Per University policy, first-year students are not allowed to have cars on campus in their first year (Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters) and cannot purchase a parking permit. There are many programs and resources at Stanford that support students’ transportation needs including the Frosh Emergency Ride Home Program. For more information, visit Transportation Options for New Students and register in advance for the Frosh Emergency Ride Home Program.
Transfer students who intend to keep a car on campus after NSO must purchase a parking permit, as the temporary NSO Parking Permit is valid only for Move-In Day. Transfer students can order their permit online in advance of their arrival or visit the Parking & Transportation Services Office located at Bonair Siding (near the Stanford Department of Public Safety).
What to Bring
Guidelines for Packing
- Check out Guidelines for Packing for a handy list of what to pack. This list is based on the expert advice from new students that have come before you. Since you'll be moving at the beginning and end of every school year, we recommend you start by bringing only the necessities!
- Be sure to have your government-issued photo ID handy, as you will need to show it at check-in.
Shipping Your Belongings
- Some of you will choose to ship items to campus rather than bring everything with you on Move-In Day. Follow the Guidelines for Shipping carefully and address your packages according to the instructions. Your P.O. Box number, available in Axess in early September, may be needed for your delivery address.
- Note: You cannot ship your items early, as they will not be accepted until you have moved in. Once your packages arrive, you'll need to pick them up from the Post Office or the Fed Ex Office in Tresidder Union. Therefore, make sure you bring with you what you'll need for your first couple of nights at Stanford, including: ID, toiletries, clothes (& jacket), shoes, and basic bedding.