New Student Orientation (NSO) strives to acclimate each entering first-year and transfer class to life at Stanford by introducing them to the University’s diverse educational opportunities and resources, acquainting them with other students and University staff, helping them feel at home in their residential community, and creating in them a sense of belonging as contributing members of the Stanford community.
NSO also establishes the relationship between families and the University by introducing them to Stanford culture and resources, providing opportunities to interact with other families, and offering support as their students enter college.
- New Student Orientation is required for all new undergraduate students at Stanford. Students must be checked in by 5:00 p.m. on the first day of NSO and participate for the full duration of the program.
- NSO is a private event intended only for new undergraduate students. While parents and families of new students are invited on the first day of NSO to programs and events welcoming them, including Convocation, the remainder of NSO is restricted to new undergraduate students at Stanford.
- Non-university vendors and companies are not allowed at Move-In Day, nor at any other NSO programs.
- Flyering at the residences on Move-In Day is not allowed.
- Unapproved video and photography of NSO events are not allowed, except for the Opening Convocation Ceremony.
- NSO Alcohol Policy: The New Student Orientation (NSO) period is from Move-In Day, the first day of NSO, until 8:00 a.m. of the first day of Autumn Quarter. At no time should any Stanford student provide, serve or in any way make alcohol available to any new, incoming undergraduate student (first-year or transfer). This specifically means that no alcohol is to be present, served, or consumed at any student organization and/or dorm during NSO.
Accommodations are available for those with accessibility or disability needs during NSO. For disability access information and to request assistance for NSO, please contact the Diversity and Access Office by emailing email@example.com or calling (650) 725-0326. Please note that all NSO event locations are wheelchair accessible.
There are many opportunities for members of the Stanford community to contribute to NSO. All of our volunteers play a vital role in supporting new undergraduate students and their families during this time. We hope you will consider joining us in welcoming the newest members of our family to the Farm!