Apply to speak at the 130th Opening Convocation Ceremony during New Student Orientation.
** Thank you for your interest. The 2020 Selection Process is currently on hold.**
As the sole student speaker among a set of distinguished University officials, you will represent the student body in welcoming to Stanford the members of the Class of 2024, new transfer students, and their families, at the 130th Opening Convocation Ceremony. The Selection Committee is looking for a student speaker who can comfortably and confidently share your "Stanford story."
What does Stanford mean to you? Elements of your story may include, but are not limited to:
- reflections on your personal values, development, and growth,
- narratives describing meaningful experiences and opportunities,
- connections made with faculty, staff, and peers, and
- personal discoveries over the course of your journey at Stanford.
Convocation speakers include: President Marc Tessier-Lavigne, the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid, and the Student Speaker.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to attend an info session to learn more about the process.
- Spring dates TBD
Guidelines & Eligibility
- All Stanford undergraduate students who will be enrolled in Autumn 2020 are eligible for consideration, with preference given to upperclass students (juniors, seniors, and co-terms).
- Speeches should have a word count of between 625-700 words.
- Speech content should uniquely represent the “student voice”. Applicants should include their personal experiences in relating the student perspective.
Application Submission & Selection Process
**The 2020 selection process is on hold.**
- Complete applications must be emailed as a PDF file to Edith Wu-Nguyen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A complete application consists of:
- Written speech submission (625-700 words) with your full name on each page,
- Resume with contact information and summer plans, if known,
- Your full name on the PDF file name (example: "Jane Stanford - 2020 Convocation Speech Application".)
- The Selection Committee will review the submissions and invite selected applicants to revise their speeches based on specific feedback.
- After reviewing revised speeches, selected applicants will be invited to give an oral presentation in person (or via Skype/video, if off campus).
- The final selection will be based on content and presentation style.
**The 2020 selection process is on hold. **
- TBD: Written speech submission deadline.
- TBD : Revised speech submission deadline by 8:00 am
- TBD: Finalist Interviews
- TBD: Student speaker selected
- Summer: Work with University Communications to refine speech (via email)
- TBD: 130th Opening Convocation
To review past student convocation speeches, you may watch the Convocation videos from previous years on Stanford's YouTube channel:
- 2019 Convocation
- 2018 Convocation
- 2017 Convocation
- 2016 Convocation
- 2015 Convocation
- 2014 Convocation
- 2013 Convocation
- 2012 Convocation
- 2011 Convocation
- 2010 Convocation
Associate Dean & Director of New Student Programs