** Detailed information about NSO 2019 will be updated on this website by summer 2019. Please check back in the summer for updated information and deadlines. You may review 2018 information below.**
New Student Orientation (NSO) runs from Wednesday, September 18 through Sunday, September 22, 2019 and is required for all new students. We expect your student to participate fully in NSO activities which will take place from morning to evening each day.
We know that this day marks an important and exciting transition in your student’s life and in your life as well. The events we schedule for parents and families are intended to provide an appreciation for the University’s challenging intellectual life, resources, rich community, and lasting traditions. We hope that you will ask questions, meet new families and friends, and enjoy your day on campus.
2018 PARENT & FAMILY NSO SurveyPlease share your thoughts about NSO 2018 with us - thank you for your feedback!
NSO EVENTS FOR PARENTS & FAMILIES: Thursday, September 20, 2018
Orientation events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, September 20, 2018, between 9:00 a.m. and 8:15 p.m.
- Move-In: Begin your day at the residences where new students check in for NSO and move in. Printed NSO Parent & Family Calendars will be distributed. After unloading, move your car to free all-day parking at the Galvez Parking Lot, which is near the venue for the Dinner with the Provost, and ride the free Marguerite Shuttle back to the residences.
- Family Welcome Center: During the day, parents and family members can visit the Family Welcome Center on the Stanford Bookstore patio to meet one another and have questions answered by representatives from campus departments and programs.
- Lunch: in the residence dining halls is complimentary on this day for parents and families accompanying their new student.
- Parent-to-Parent Advice for Frosh Parents: 1:00 - 2:15 p.m., Campbell Recital Hall in Braun Music Center. With Louis Newman (Director of Undergraduate Advising and Research) and Denise Pope (School of Education senior lecturer)
- Open Houses & Welcomes: In the afternoon, open houses, welcome programs, and parent panels are available to learn more about the University and its resources.
- Asian American Community Welcome: 1:30 - 3:30 p.m., Asian American Activities Center
- Black Community Welcome: 1:30 - 3:00 p.m., Black Community Services Center
- "No Es Un Adiόs" Parent Panel: 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., El Centro Chicano y Latino
- Chicanx/Latinx New Student & Family Welcome: 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., Old Union Courtyard
- Diversity and First-Gen Welcome Lunch for Students & Families: 11:30 - 12:30 p.m., Tresidder Oak Lounge
- Jewish Community Open House: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., Hillel Center
- The Markaz Resouce Center Open House: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Office for Military-Affiliated Communities Open House: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., Student Services Center
- Native American Cultural Center Open House: 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Queer Community Welcome: 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., QSPOT, Firetruck House 2nd Floor
- Office for Religious Life Open House: 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., CIRCLE, Old Union 3rd Floor
- Women's Community Center Open House: 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- Should you wish to visit academic departments or offices on campus, they are generally open 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Opening Convocation: In the late afternoon, President Marc Tessier-Lavigne will host the 128th Opening Convocation in the Main Quad Courtyard at 4:00 p.m., a ceremony that students and their families will not want to miss. Dress casually and bring a hat, as it may be sunny. Convocation will be broadcast live on Stanford University's FM radio station, KZSU 90.1 FM.
- Residence Welcomes: Following Convocation, meet your student's residential staff, housemates, and their families. This is the traditional time for you to say goodbye to your student.
- Dinner with the Provost: End your day at the Dinner with the Provost for dinner, entertainment, and conversation with other parents and families. You are encouraged to walk from the residences to the Dinner at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation, or take the NSO Shuttle which will make a final loop from the Galvez Parking Lot to all of the residences at 7:00 p.m.
Dinner with the Provost: Thursday, September 20, 2018
Parents and families of new undergraduate students are invited to join Provost Persis Drell, Stanford's chief academic officer, for a casual dinner, dessert, entertainment, and conversation with other parents and families from 6:45 p.m. - 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, September 20, 2018, at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation. The Provost will give the dinner address and Stanford Parents' Club hosts will be on hand to welcome you and answer questions. Note: Your student will be having dinner in the residence and cannot attend this event.
Tickets are $18 per guest. Limited financial assistance is available – please contact email@example.com by August 17. Please include the name of your student in your inquiry.
Online ticket sales closed on August 17, 2018. Additional tickets will be available for purchase from the Stanford Ticket Office (Tresidder Union, 2nd floor) on Thursday, September 20 between 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Any tickets remaining after 12:30 p.m. will be available outside the ACSR/dinner venue from 5:15 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.
GETTING AROUND CAMPUS
On or before September 1, all new students will be sent an Approaching Stanford Newsletter by email that will include information about traveling to Stanford and parking on campus, as well as links to a printable map and parking pass. The directions, map, and parking pass are available on this website, as of September 1.
Free Campus Parking & Shuttles on Move-In Day
After unloading at the residences, parents/families should move their cars to the Galvez Parking Lot for free all-day parking. Free Marguerite shuttles will return you to the residences and will run approximately every 15-30 minutes throughout the day (click here for the NSO Shuttle Map). The NSO Shuttle will make a final loop from the Galvez Parking Lot to all of the residences at 7:00 p.m.
Note: First-Year Students are not allowed to bring cars to campus for their first year. For more information, see Parking and Transportation's Frosh Parking Policy. New Transfer Students may bring cars to campus and purchase a parking permit for the year.
Accessibilty & Disability-Related Accommodation Requests
NSO volunteers will be available from 12:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 18, 2019, to provide limited golf cart transportation for people who may require additional assistance traveling between major NSO events, including Opening Convocation and the Dinner with the Provost. To request assistance, please call (650) 723-7674 on September 18 at least 30 minutes prior to an event.
All locations are wheelchair accessible unless otherwise noted on the map in the printed Parent & Family Calendar. For disability-related accommodation requests or wheelchair access information during NSO for students and family members, please contact the Diversity and Access Office:
Planning Your Visit
For families accompanying their student to NSO, information about traveling to Stanford and a local lodging guide is available on our Visitor Information website. You may wish to stay in a local hotel the night before Move-In Day. Please note that your student will be busy participating in New Student Orientation programs beginning with dinner on Move-In Day. While you are welcome to continue your visit on our campus, you should not make plans to meet with your student during NSO week.
Approaching Stanford Parent and Guardian Newsletter
Monthly newsletters will be sent this summer to the parents/guardians of incoming frosh and new transfers during the summer (as identified by students in their Approaching Stanford Forms). These newsletters will contain helpful information and resources for our families. Visit the Approaching Stanford for Parents and Guardians page to view this information.
Approaching Stanford/NSO Team