New Student Orientation (NSO), Thursday, September 20 through Sunday, September 23, 2018, is required for all new students and we expect your student to participate fully in NSO activities which will take place from morning to evening each day.
Events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, Thursday, September 20, 2018. We know that this day marks an important and exciting transition in your son’s or daughter’s life and in your life as well. The events we schedule for parents and families are intended to provide an appreciation for the University’s challenging intellectual life, resources, rich community and lasting traditions. We hope that you will ask questions, meet new families and friends, and enjoy your day on campus.
NSO EVENTS FOR PARENTS & FAMILIES
Orientation events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, September 20, 2018, between 9:00 a.m. and 8:15 p.m.
- Move-In: Begin your day at the residences where new students check in for NSO and move in. Printed NSO Parent & Family Calendars will be distributed. After unloading, move your car to free all-day parking at the Galvez Parking Lot , which is near the venue for the Dinner with the Provost, and ride the free Marguerite Shuttle back to the residences.
- Family Welcome Center: During the day, parents and family members can visit the Family Welcome Center on the Stanford Bookstore patio to meet one another and have questions answered by representatives from campus departments and programs.
- Open Houses & Welcomes: In the afternoon, open houses, welcome programs, and parent panels are available to learn more about the University and its resources.
- Lunch in the residence dining halls is complimentary on this day for parents and families accompanying their new student.
- Should you wish to visit academic departments or other offices on campus, they are generally open 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Opening Convocation: In the late afternoon, President Marc Tessier-Lavigne will host the 128th Opening Convocation in the Inner Quad at 4:00 p.m., a ceremony that students and their families will not want to miss. Dress casually and bring a hat, as it may be sunny. Convocation will be broadcast live on Stanford University's FM radio station, KZSU 90.1 FM.
- Residence Welcomes: Following Convocation, meet your student's residential staff, housemates, and their families. This is the traditional time for you to say goodbye to your student.
- Dinner with the Provost: End your day at the Dinner with the Provost for dinner, entertainment, and conversation with other parents and families. You are encouraged to walk from the residences to the Dinner at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation, or take the NSO Shuttle which will make a final loop from the Galvez Parking Lot to all of the residences at 7:00 p.m.
A full calendar of NSO 2018 events will be posted online here by September 1. If you are interested, you may review last year's 2017 NSO Parent & Family Calendar.
Dinner with the Provost
Parents and families of new undergraduate students are invited to join Provost Persis Drell, Stanford's chief academic officer, for a casual dinner, dessert, entertainment, and conversation with other parents and families from 6:45 - 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, September 20, 2018, at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation. The Provost will give the dinner address and Stanford Parents' Club hosts will be on hand to welcome you and answer questions. Note: Your student will be having dinner in the residence and cannot attend this event.
Tickets are $18 per guest. Limited financial assistance is available - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by August 17. Please include the name of your student in your inquiry.
Online ticket sales will close on August 17, 2018. Additional tickets will be available for purchase from the Stanford Ticket Office (Tresidder Union, 2nd floor) on Thursday, September 20. If you did not pre-order your tickets this summer, you may buy them at the Ticket Office on Move-In Day.
GETTING AROUND CAMPUS
On or before September 1, all new students will be sent an Approaching Stanford Newsletter by email that will include information about traveling to Stanford and parking on campus, as well as links to a printable map and parking pass. The directions, map, and parking pass are available on this website, as of September 1.
Free Campus Parking & Shuttles on Move-In Day
After unloading at the residences, parents/families should move their cars to the Galvez Parking Lot for free all-day parking. Free Marguerite shuttles will return you to the residences and will run approximately every 15-30 minutes throughout the day. The NSO Shuttle will make a final loop from the Galvez Parking Lot to all of the residences at 7:00 p.m.
Note: First-Year Students are not allowed to bring cars to campus for their first year. For more information, see Parking and Transportation's Frosh Parking Policy. New Transfer Students may bring cars to campus and purchase a parking permit for the year.
Accessibilty & Disability-Related Accommodation Requests
NSO volunteers will be available from 12:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 20, 2018, to provide limited golf cart transportation for people who may require additional assistance traveling between NSO events, including Opening Convocation and the Dinner with the Provost. To request assistance, please call (650) 723-7674 on September 20 at least 30 minutes prior to an event.
All locations are wheelchair accessible unless otherwise noted on the map in the printed Parent & Family Calendar. For disability-related accommodation requests or wheelchair access information during NSO for students and family members, please contact the Diversity and Access Office:
Planning Your Visit
For families accompanying their student to NSO, information about traveling to Stanford and a local lodging guide is available on our Visitor Information website. You may wish to stay in a local hotel the night before Move-In Day. Please note that your student will be busy participating in New Student Orientation programs beginning with dinner on Move-In Day. While you are welcome to continue your visit on our campus, you should not make plans to meet with your student during NSO week.
Approaching Stanford Parent and Guardian Newsletter
Monthly newsletters will be sent this summer to the parents/guardians of incoming frosh and new transfers during the summer (as identified by students in their Approaching Stanford Forms). These newsletters will contain helpful information and resources for our families. Visit the Approaching Stanford for Parents and Guardians page to view this information.
For questions about NSO events for parents and families, please call the Approaching Stanford/NSO team in Undergraduate Advising and Research at (650) 723-7674 or email email@example.com.