New Student Orientation (NSO), Tuesday, September 15 through Sunday, September 20, 2015, is required for all new students and we expect your student to participate fully in NSO activities which will take place from morning to evening each day.
Events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, Tuesday, September 15, 2015. We know that this day marks an important and exciting transition in your son’s or daughter’s life and in your life as well. The events we schedule for parents and families are intended to provide an appreciation for the University’s challenging intellectual life, resources, rich community and lasting traditions. We hope that you will ask questions, meet new families and friends, and enjoy your day on campus.
NSO EVENTS FOR PARENTS
Orientation events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, September 15, 2015, between 9:00 a.m. and 8:15 p.m.
- Begin your day at the residences where new students check in for NSO and move in. Printed NSO Parent Events Calendars will be distributed. After unloading, move your car to free all-day parking at the Galvez Lot , which is near the venue for the Parent Dinner with the Provost.
- During the day, parents can visit the Parent Lounge and Resource Center in the Old Union Clubhouse Ballroom to meet one another and have questions answered by representatives from campus departments and programs.
- In the afternoon, open houses, welcome programs, and parent panels are available for parents to learn more about the University and its resources.
- Should you wish to visit academic departments or other offices on campus, they are generally open 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- In the late afternoon, President John Hennessy will host the 125th Opening Convocation in the Inner Quad at 4:00 p.m., a ceremony that students and their families will not want to miss.
- Following Convocation, meet your student's residential staff, housemates, and their families. This is the traditional time for you to say goodbye to your student.
- End your day at the Parent Dinner with the Provost for dinner, entertainment, and conversation with other parents.
The 2014 New Student Orientation Parent Events Calendar is currently available online. The 2015 NSO Calendar will be available by September 1, 2015. You will receive a printed copy when your daughter/son checks in at the residence and you may also pick one up at the Parent Lounge & Resource Center.
Parent Dinner with the Provost
Parents of new undergraduate students are invited to join Provost John Etchemendy, Stanford's chief academic officer, for a casual dinner, dessert, entertainment, and conversation with other parents from 6:45 - 8:15 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15, 2015, at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation. The Provost will give the dinner address and Stanford Parents' Club hosts will be on hand to welcome you and answer questions.
Parents or other family members who are interested in attending the Parent Dinner with the Provost may register and purchase tickets online via this website beginning June 10, 2015. Online ticket sales will close on August 21. A number of Parent Dinner tickets will be available for purchase at the Parent Lounge and Resource Center on September 15 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m..
A welcome letter and information was sent on June 22, 2015, to the parents/guardians of incoming freshmen and new transfers during the summer (as identified by students in their Approaching Stanford Forms). The 2015 parent mailing contains the following and is available via the link below:
- Welcome letter from Rob Urstein, Dean of Freshmen and Director of Undergraduate Advising & Research
- A Guide for Parents brochure
- Vaden Health Center & Cardinal Care Insurance brochure
- New Student Orientation information for parents, including the NSO Parent Dinner with the Provost
- NSO 2015 Move-In Day Parking Permit
- Letter from the Office of Alcohol Policy and Education
- Letter from the Office of Sexual Assault and Relationship Abuse Education & Response and Title IX Coordinator
- Student Services Center information
- Student Financial Services information
- Stanford Guest House brochure
GETTING AROUND CAMPUS
The Approaching Stanford Newsletter that will be sent to all incoming students on August 31 will include information about traveling to Stanford and parking on campus as well as links to a printable map and parking pass.
The map and parking pass will be available on this website by August 31.
After unloading at the residences, parents should move their cars to the Galvez Parking Lot for free all-day parking. Free Marguerite shuttles will return you to the residences. Look for the shuttles looping East Campus (Wilbur, Stern, Kimball) and West Campus (Florence Moore, Muwekma, Roble, Lagunita, Freshman-Sophomore College).
NSO volunteers will be available from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 to provide limited golf cart transportation for people who may require additional assistance traveling between NSO events, including Opening Convocation and the Parent Dinner. To request assistance, please call (650) 72-FROSH on September 15 at least 30 minutes prior to an event.
All locations are wheelchair accessible unless otherwise noted on the map in the printed Parent Events Calendar. For disability access information and accommodations during NSO for students and family members, please contact:
Voice: (650) 725-0326
TTY: (650) 723-1216
For questions about NSO events for parents, please call the Approaching Stanford team at (650) 72-FROSH or email email@example.com.