New Student Orientation (NSO), Tuesday, September 16 through Sunday, September 21, 2014, is required for all new students and we expect your student to participate fully in NSO activities which will take place from morning to evening each day.
Events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, Tuesday, September 16, 2014. We know that this day marks an important and exciting transition in your son’s or daughter’s life and in your life as well. The events we schedule for parents and families are intended to provide an appreciation for the University’s challenging intellectual life, resources, rich community and lasting traditions. We hope that you will ask questions, meet new families and friends, and enjoy your day on campus.
NSO EVENTS FOR PARENTS
Orientation events for parents and families will take place on the first day of NSO, September 16, 2014, between 9:00 a.m. and 8:15 p.m.
- Begin your day at the residences where new students check in for NSO and move in. Printed NSO Parent Events Calendars will be distributed. After unloading, move your car to free all-day parking at the Galvez Lot , which is near the venue for the Parent Dinner with the Provost.
- During the day, parents can visit the Parent Lounge and Resource Center in the Old Union Clubhouse Ballroom to meet one another and have questions answered by representatives from campus departments and programs.
- In the afternoon, open houses, welcome programs, and parent panels are available for parents to learn more about the University and its resources.
- Should you wish to visit academic departments or other offices on campus, they are generally open 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- In the late afternoon, President John Hennessy will host the 124th Opening Convocation in the Inner Quad at 4:00 p.m., a ceremony that students and their families will not want to miss.
- Following Convocation, meet your student's residential staff, housemates, and their families. This is the traditional time for you to say goodbye to your student.
- End your day at the Parent Dinner with the Provost for dinner, entertainment, and conversation with other parents.
You may review the 2013 New Student Orientation Parent Events Calendar (PDF). The 2014 Calendar will be available online as of September 1, 2014. You will receive a printed copy when your daughter/son checks in at the residence and you may also pick one up at the Parent Lounge & Resource Center.
Parent Dinner with the Provost
Parents of new undergraduate students are invited to join Provost John Etchemendy, Stanford's chief academic officer, for a casual dinner, dessert, entertainment, and conversation with other parents from 6:45 - 8:15 p.m. on Tuesday, September 16, 2014, at the Arrillaga Center for Sports and Recreation. The Provost will give the dinner address and Stanford Parents' Club hosts will be on hand to welcome you and answer questions.
Parents or other family members who are interested in purchasing tickets for the Parent Dinner with the Provost will be able to register online in mid-June. Online ticket sales will close in mid- August. A limited number of Parent Dinner tickets will be available for purchase at the Parent Lounge and Resource Center on September 16; however, it is strongly recommended that parents purchase tickets during the summer.
A welcome letter and information will be sent to the parents/guardians of incoming freshmen and new transfers during the summer (as identified by students in their Approaching Stanford Forms). The 2013 parent mailing contained:
- a welcome letter from Rob Urstein, Dean of Freshmen and Director of Undergraduate Advising & Research
- A Guide for Parents brochure
- Cardinal Care Health Insurance information
- New Student Orientation information for parents
- a letter from the Office of Alcohol Policy and Education
- Student Services Center information
- a Stanford Guest House brochure
GETTING AROUND CAMPUS
The Approaching Stanford Newsletter that will be sent to all incoming students in late August will include information about traveling to Stanford and parking on campus as well as links to a printable map and parking pass.
All locations are wheelchair accessible unless otherwise noted on the map in the printed Parent Events Calendar. For disability access information during NSO, please call the Approaching Stanford team in Undergraduate Advising & Research at (650) 72-FROSH or (650) 723- 1216 (TTY) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSO volunteers will be available from 11:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 16 to provide limited golf cart transportation for people who may require additional assistance traveling between NSO events, including Opening Convocation and the Parent Dinner. To request assistance, please call (650) 72-FROSH on September 16 at least 30 minutes prior to an event.
For questions about NSO events for parents, please call the Approaching Stanford team at (650) 72-FROSH or email email@example.com.