NCAA Academic Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to represent Stanford University in intercollegiate athletics competition, Stanford student-athletes must meet NCAA academic requirements and maintain satisfactory progress towards degrees as detailed below.

Click here to see the requirements as a PDF

ALL STUDENTS - At All Times*

*Requirements for Coterm Student-Athletes and Baseball/Football/Basketball Student-Athletes Below

  • You must be enrolled in at least 12 units at all times – be sure to add classes before you drop
  • Do not withdraw from a class or change the grading option without checking with your AARC advisor first
  • Check with your AARC advisor when planning to repeat a class
  • EACH quarter: you must pass 6 degree-applicable units 
  • CUMULATIVELY during the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters: you must pas27 degree-applicable units

What are degree-applicable units?

  • Frosh & Sophomores: All units are degree-applicable
  • Juniors & Seniors: degree-applicable units are a combination of GER, major, and elective classes. Contact your AARC advisor if you are not registered for at least 6 GER and major units. For other exceptions, please contact your AARC advisor.

Required Progress by Year 

Note: Unit totals outlined below are "degree-applicable" units:

By the START of Sophomore Year you must:

  • have a cumulative GPA of 1.8
  • have completed 36 units

By the END of Sophomore Year you must:

    • declare a major

    By the START of Junior Year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 1.9 
    • have completed 72 units (40% of your total degree requirements)

    By the START of Senior Year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 2.0
    • have completed 108 units (60% of your degree requirements)

    By the START of a 5th Year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 
    • have completed 144 units (80% of your degree requirements)

    Coterms - Required Progress by Year

    In addition to the standard Sophomore year requirements listed above:

    By the START of Junior Year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 1.9
    • have completed 33% of your degree requirements

    By the START of Senior Year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 2.0
    • have completed 50% of your degree requirements

    By the START of your Coterm year you must:

    • have a cumulative GPA of 2.0
    • have completed 67% of your degree requirements

    Sport-Specific Requirements

    BASEBALL
    Must be eligible in the Fall Quarter in order to be eligible in the Winter and Spring Quarters

    FOOTBALL
    Must pass 8 degree-applicable units in the Fall Quarter to be eligible for the next season (Fall Quarter of the following year)

    MEN & WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
    In order to participate in summer practices, must be enrolled in summer courses at Stanford or be on 4-year academic plan (25% of total degree requirements by the start of sophomore year, 50% total degree requirements by the start of junior year, 75% of total degree requirements by the start of senior year)

    Further Questions

    Contact your AARC Advisor with any further questions!