Thinking about studying away from Stanford?
About Study Abroad
The Bing Overseas Study Program offers quarters abroad in eleven cities around the world, including summer options in Oaxaca, Cape Town, and Santiago, as well as shorter Overseas Seminars. In addition, you can do a quarter in Monterey with Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford-at-Sea (half in Monterey, half on a sailing ship in the South Pacific), a quarter in Hawaii with Earth Systems, or Stanford-in-Washington (politics and public policy-themed), or Stanford-in-NYC (Autumn: arts, architecture, design, urban studies; Winter: media and finance; Spring: the global city).
Tips for Advance Planning
- Check the links above to get the basics. Pay attention to what quarter programs are offered, and whether a particular quarter has a certain theme.
- Attend an info session on Study Abroad or about a particular program.
- See what classes each option offers (BOSP publishes classes over a year in advance).
- Identify language requirements or other prerequisites for your preferred program(s) and work out a plan to meet and go beyond the prerequisites. The better your language skills, the more you will get out of being abroad (and the more competitive your application will be).
- Talk to people who’ve gone on the program--BOSP and several other programs list official Peer Advisors who are available.
- Develop your background knowledge. This might mean: taking related classes; picking related topics for a free-choice research paper; related internships or service. (Discussing such items can strengthen an application.)
- Talk to faculty associated with the program.
- Apply! Deadlines are at least two quarters in advance, sometimes more.