For outstanding juniors and sophomores who intend to pursue basic research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- Campus Deadline: Monday, 30 November 2015, 3PM (Pacific Time)
- Application Workshop: Wednesday, 28 October 2015, 5PM, Taper Center Conference Room
- Eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room + board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually
- Sophomore scholarship recipients are eligible for a maximum of two years of scholarship support; Junior scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support
- Campus liaison: Dr Kristin Black, Undergraduate Advising and Research
- More information at: The Barry Goldwater Scholarship Program national website
- Nomination by Stanford through Undergraduate Advising and Research
- Open to full-time registered sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue basic research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering
- While the Goldwater Foundation requires a GPA of at least a "B" or the equivalent, and that applicants be in the upper fourth of their class, the selection process is highly competitive and experience indicates that only students with a GPA of 3.6 and above can expect to be successful in the competition
- US citizen, resident alien, or US national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands
How to Apply
The following steps must be completed for an application to be considered for campus nomination:
- Register with UAR to participate in the campus competition.
- Thoroughly read all materials found at the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Website, but note below that the campus application process involves different steps.
- Consult with the campus liaison regarding your intended letters of recommendation and your draft application.
- Consult with your faculty mentor and other advisors about the writing of your application.
- Request three letters of recommendation. By the campus deadline, letters must be sent directly by the writer to email@example.com or in sealed hardcopy form to Sweet Hall, First Floor, "Attn. Fellowships".
- Begin this process early to allow for creation and submission by the campus deadline.
- See Tips for Soliciting Letters of Recommendation.
- By the Campus Application deadline, submit a complete application package to the UAR front desk on the first floor in Sweet Hall. A complete application consists of the following:
- Five printed copies of your online application (downloaded from the Goldwater site, or based on the WORD template), including the Student Profile and the 2-page Essay. At this point, DO NOT enter the e-mail contacts of your letter writers on the official site.
- Request an electronic version of all undergraduate official transcripts to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can only obtain hard copies of a transcript, submit one original and five copies.
- One copy of your Resident card, if applicable.
- Sign the "Fellowship Nomination Permission Form and Waiver" at the front desk to complete the submission process.
- We expect that the three letters of recommendation will come in separately by the deadline (see note 5 above).
If you are selected as a Stanford nominee, you will work with the campus liaison and other advisors to refine your online application in early Winter Quarter. At that point, you should proceed to work on the online application form to enter the e-mail contact information of your three recommenders. You should let your letter writers know beforehand that they will receive a notification from the Goldwater Foundation asking for their final letters of recommendation, and please remind them to upload their letters by the national deadline. At the national deadline, ONLY letters submitted by your writers through the official Goldwater recommendation website will be considered for the national competition.
Note: Late applications will NOT be accepted without prior approval.
A committee of UAR staff and faculty will review applications and select a maximum of four campus nominees.
You are strongly encouraged to consult with your faculty mentors about the application, and with UAR advisors who have experience with this competition. To schedule an appointment with the Goldwater campus liaison, visit here.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
- Read sample application essays available at any of the following UAR offices: Sweet Hall first floor; the AARC; the office of the UAR Academic Advising Director of your residence
- Join the Fellowships email list for announcements on this and other opportunities
- View Tips for Soliciting Letters of Recommendation
- Get information on how to request your electronic transcript from Stanford
- Get feedback from consultants at the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking on your essays