2020-2021 VPUE STEM Fellows
We are currently accepting nominations for this year’s VPUE STEM Fellows Program. Only Sophomores are eligible to be nominated by a Stanford faculty or staff member.
- The deadline to submit a nomination for the 2020-21 academic year is Friday, January 8, 2021.
- Nominated students will be invited to apply during the Winter quarter.
About STEM Fellows
With funding from the Office of the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education, the Stanford Undergraduate STEM Fellows Program cultivates the skills and interest of students who seek to promote diversity (broadly defined) in STEM fields, ideally increasing diversity of the future professoriate.
- Participation in a scholarly community
- Stipend for spring or summer research (Sophomore year)
- Flex Term Requirement: Fellows participating in full-time research can only use this stipend in Spring 2021 or Summer 2021 quarters by taking a Flex Term. In addition, Fellows must have completed two full-time enrolled quarters this academic year by the time their research project begins - these quarters do not have to be consecutive
- Quarterly stipend to support research activities during Junior and Senior year
- Mentorship from current Stanford graduate students
- Financial support for applying to graduate school including GRE books and test fees, graduate school application fees, etc. (up to $500)
- Participation in workshops that give a general introduction to research culture, applying for research funding, writing personal statements, and graduate school applications
Who is a "Sophomore"? For the purposes of the STEM Fellows program, “Sophomore” means that the student has completed 3-5 (a minimum of 3, maximum of 5) full-time quarters of enrollment over their entire Stanford career by the end of Autumn 2020. (As long as they meet this condition, they may be nominated even if they took a Leave of Absence in Autumn 2020.)
- Transfer students must have completed 1 full-time quarter at Stanford and no more than 1 full year at their previous institution (or transferred in no more than 60 units, not including AP credit) by the time of application. Transfer students coming from a community college must have completed 1 full-time quarter at Stanford and no more than 2 years at a community college.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact email@example.com.