Students in Stanford's humanities community have access to university resources that extend their experiences beyond the classroom. Read on to find out more about opportunities in the humanities, including internships, summer funding, and career counseling.
Humanities Career Counseling
At BEAM Career Education a new team of discipline-specific career counselors is available to discuss professional development questions and planning. Sign up for the Humanities & Sciences newsletter in your Handshake account to learn about meetups, career exploration treks, and internships.
Rebele Digital and Print Journalism Internship Program
Stanford students in any major may actively pursue internship opportunities at weekly and daily periodicals across the continental United States and all are eligible to apply for Rebele stipends of up to $5,000. Funds are limited and funding is awarded to eligible students on a first come first served basis.
The Rebele Program enables newspaper publishers to benefit from the valuable contributions of dedicated interns and is equally beneficial for students who gain hands-on, journalistic work experience through quality print journalism internships. A diverse and comprehensive list of associated news publications is viewable and applicants may contact the Rebele Internship Program Director to determine the eligibility of any specific US newspaper not presently listed.
Beyond the Classroom
- Collaborate on digital humanities research
- Write for, edit, and publish in peer-reviewed journals in classics or creative writing
- Become a digital storyteller with the Stanford Storytelling Project
- Explore rare manuscripts, books, and the Apple Computer archive at Special Collections in Green Library
- Apply for a Chappell Lougee Scholarship or other Undergraduate Research grants to support summer research around the world
- Attend events at the Stanford Humanities Center or participate in the Hume Humanities Honors Fellowship program while you write your thesis
- Read the English department student blog, The Cellar Door
- Seek out intellectual mentors at Interdisciplinary research centers
- Intern at Yosemite National Park through the Bill Lane Center for the American West