BOSP advises current Stanford students on the policies and procedures for doing a Non-Stanford Study Abroad Program, signs study abroad approval forms, evaluates requests for pre-approval of transfer credit, and conducts transfer credit evaluation for coursework already completed abroad.
While credit is guaranteed on Stanford-operated overseas programs, it is not guaranteed on Non-Stanford study abroad programs. There are no approved programs.
Where to Begin
Not sure how to start when considering studying overseas with a non-Stanford program?
- Review our 10-Step Guide to learn about important University policies and procedures you need to be aware of. It can also direct you to helpful resources that will assist you in researching Non-Stanford study abroad opportunities and preparing to go abroad.
- Make an appointment to speak with a study abroad advisor.
Study Abroad Approval Forms
Most Non-Stanford study abroad programs require a home institution’s approval to study abroad. If yours does BOSP can assist you with this. You must first:
- Complete the BOSP Non-Stanford Study Abroad Registration, and then make an appointment to speak with a study abroad advisor.
- Be prepared to discuss your study abroad plan, program choices, course selection, and application documents.
It will take BOSP at least 4-5 business days to process your study abroad approval form.
Academic work completed at another institution can be considered for credit if all of the Stanford University transfer credit policy conditions are met.
Some of the policies include:
- It is completed at an accredited institution;
- It is substantially similar to Stanford courses;
- It is completed with a grade of C- or better;
- It does not duplicate, overlap, or regress previous work;
- The university or college offering the courses allows these courses to be used for credit towards its own undergraduate degree.
The Bing Overseas Studies Program evaluates requests for transfer credit pre-approval as well as transfer credit for work already completed abroad. You can learn more about requesting transfer credit on our Request Transfer Credit page.
The evaluation process, in general, takes 3-4 weeks from the receipt of a complete request for transfer credit.
Students should plan to submit complete transfer credit requests at least two months prior to the date by which they need to know the evaluation result. Transfer credit requests will be reviewed in order of receipt.