Transfer Credit FAQ

Yes, you can take a maximum of 20 quarter units representing courses which do not parallel specific courses at Stanford, again subject to the approval of the BOSP and the Office of the University Registrar as to quality and suitability. However, if the transfer courses are equivalent to Stanford graduate-level courses, those courses are not transferrable.

Please translate all of your supporting documents into English to the best of your ability and submit your translations along with the original documents to the Bing Overseas Studies Program.

You must check with your major department for approval before going overseas. The transfer work for all non-Stanford study abroad programs must first be accepted into the University through the Bing Overseas Studies Program in order to be considered by your department. To send a copy of your transcript to your department, please send email to BOSP and provide your name, SUID number, name of the host institution(s), and the name of your department. If the work has not yet been transferred, you must wait until it appears on your record before notifying BOSP.

45 quarter units for first year students who matriculated at Stanford in Autumn Quarter 2001-02 and thereafter. However, for a single quarter, the maximum number of units that can be transferred is 20 quarter units for a quarter-based program.

Grades from other colleges and universities are not included in the GPA and will not appear on Stanford transcripts. Only the grades for courses taken at Stanford are included in your GPA.

Only the name of the institution, and the units will appear. For example: “American University in Cairo, 10.0 units”. Courses and grades from the host institution do not appear on the Stanford transcript. If you plan to apply to graduate schools or for fellowships/scholarships in the future, those organizations will usually ask you to submit transcripts from all institutions attened. You must request transcripts from those institutions directly.

BOSP cannot release a copy of your transfer transcript to you or to any outside agency. You will need to request a copy directly from the program.

Yes, but the course must substantially match a specific Stanford course that fulfills the same requirement and must be a minimum of three quarter units. For GERs, the course must be taken for a letter grade.