In light of the ongoing global COVID-19 crisis and worldwide travel restrictions, which are expected to remain in place for an indefinite period of time, Stanford University is suspending all BOSP Summer Quarter 2019-20 programs (see full announcement).
Overseas Seminars are an exciting and rewarding way to engage in short-term study abroad with Stanford University. Taught and led by Stanford faculty, these programs are specifically designed to integrate course content and program location.
Overseas Seminars are 2-4 week programs that take place over the summer. Program locations and course topics change every year.
Each program is limited to 12-15 students. Grading basis is either mandatory satisfactory/no credit (S/NC) or mandatory letter grade as determined by each Faculty Leader.
Determine eligibility by reading through Step 1 of the Application Process. Please note that for the 2020-21 academic year, BOSP will require that students be on a Flex Term to be eligible to participate on an Overseas Seminar. Students on a Leave of Absence will be ineligible. Students enrolling full-time at Stanford during the summer quarter will also be ineligible. No exceptions will be possible. Please see BOSP's 2020-21 FAQs for more information.
Participating students pay a program fee as outlined below. Stanford provides students on all programs with room and board, transportation and course activities for the duration of the program.
Academic Year 2020-21 Program Fee: To Be Determined
The program fee does not cover:
- International travel costs to and from the program location
- Visa costs
- Pre-departure immunization/vaccination costs
- Course materials
- International health insurance
- In-country cell phone costs
- Other incidental expenses (such as: laundry and souvenirs)
Some financial assistance towards the program fee and the cost of travel may be available from BOSP for students with demonstrated financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Eligibility will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. Students have until the withdrawal deadline to withdraw without a financial penalty. Please contact the Financial Aid Office directly if you wish to discuss the possibility of taking out student loans to cover program costs.
Expectations and Preparation
All program participants are required to attend the entire program, from the scheduled arrival date/time through the scheduled departure date/time. Prior to their programs, BOSP and Faculty Leaders conduct a series of mandatory orientation sessions, which includes an online orientation module and an in-person orientation in Spring Quarter. Some Faculty Leaders may also offer a required pre-program course and/or additional meetings. A complete list of academic prerequisites and additional program requirements is listed in the "Quick Facts" section of the program-specific webpages.
The activity level of Overseas Seminars varies depending on the location and academic focus. You can find more information about the activity level for your program(s) of interest in the "Quick Facts" section of the program-specific webpage. If you have questions about the activity level for a specific program, please contact a BOSP Special Programs Coordinator.
- Light: Activities may include city walking tours, easy/short hikes, museum and other site visits
- Light/Moderate: Activities may include city walking tours, easy/short hikes, museum and other site visits as well as an occasional physical activity such as snorkeling, hiking, or kayaking.
- Moderate: Participants should expect to spend multiple hours each day engaging in physical activity such as hiking or snorkeling.
- Moderate/Strenuous: Participants should expect to spend multiple hours engaging in physical activity such as hiking or snorkeling. Some days might require more physical activity such as a full day or snorkeling or hiking on steep terrain.
- Strenuous: Activities may include full-day hikes (sometimes at high altitude and on steep terrain that may or may not be exposed) or full-day kayaking excursions or other physical activities.
- Extremely Strenuous: Activities will include full-day hikes at high altitude and on steep, exposed terrain or full-day kayaking excursions or other physical activities.
Program Modification and Cancelation
Stanford reserves the right to cancel or modify the Program before or during its operation for any reason, including natural disasters, emergencies, low enrollment, unavailability of facilities or personnel, or compliance with the University travel policy at http://provost.stanford.edu/2017/03/03/international-travel-policy-2/.