All students in the Paris program are expected whenever possible to speak French with their peers, the staff & instructors at the center, at Stanford course excursions, at group meals, and with their host families. This effort is essential in order to contribute to true cultural immersion within the program, and to improve language skills while overseas.
- Participants must have completed FRENLANG 3 or FRENLANG 2A.
- In winter quarter, the language prerequisite is waived for STEM students participating in one STEM course being offered. (Students participating in the STEM track will be required to enroll in an appropriate level French language course in Paris).
- STEM courses being offered during winter quarter 2019-20 are OSPPARIS 53: Electricity, Magnetism and Optics with Laboratory (pre-req: Physics 21 or 21S), OSPPARIS 25 Bon Appetit, Marie Curie! The Science of French Cooking, or OSPPARIS 76 From Art to Medicine: the Human Body and Tissue Regeneration.
- Preference will be given to students with additional language study.
Stanford Language Center
- All students, including native speakers, are expected to demonstrate their level of language ability (writing, verbal and reading) by providing results of a recent language placement test or previous coursework. For any questions, please contact the Language Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) with "BOSP" specified in the subject line.
- For students who have completed the language prerequisite by other means, please contact the Stanford Language Center to determine if that preparation serves as an equivalent prerequisite.