Given the need to be nimble in academic year 2020-21, the IntroSems' VCA is only open for sign-ups for one quarter at time. Students may only enter information in the IntroSem's VCA during these quarterly sign-up windows:
- AUTUMN QUARTER: AUGUST 10–AUGUST 28
- WINTER QUARTER: OCTOBER 16–NOVEMBER 16 (DEADLINE EXTENDED!)
- SPRING QUARTER: JANUARY 15–FEBRUARY 12
- SUMMER QUARTER: APRIL 9–MAY 7
Note that all quarterly sign-up deadlines are by 8AM (Pacific Time) on Friday, August 28 (Autumn); MONDAY, November 16 (Winter) (DEADLINE EXTENDED); Friday, February 12 (Spring); and Friday, May 7 (Summer).
- Choose up to three courses per quarter. Use the My Plan online tool at ExploreIntroSems or print the Annual Seminar Plan pdf to keep track of your choices for the year.
- Complete a self-introduction for your first ranked seminar each quarter in the IntroSems' VCA. The writing prompt: "Pick something in the seminar description and explain why it grabs your attention. Perhaps it reminds you of a prior experience, inspires you to tell a story about yourself, or unearths a curiosity you didn’t know you have. Don’t worry if the story doesn’t seem relevant to the IntroSem. The purpose is for the professor to learn more about you as they assemble the class. Please note - the system has a character limit of about 3000." Be specific, give details that illustrate your points, and use full sentences in a unified presentation. See our Writing Tips for more guidance.
- If a course has a seminar-specific question, it MUST be answered regardless of how you rank the course. Instructors of your second- and third-ranked choices are able to read your self-introduction for your first-ranked course. You have the option of entering additional statements for your lower ranked seminars if you wish to.
- Submit your self-introduction through our online sign-up system, the IntroSems' VCA, at
- If you select more than one seminar in a given quarter, the IntroSems' VCA will rank your choices and give you the option to adjust those rankings using the dropdowns on your VCA landing page. Can't locate the course in the VCA? Changes happen, so review the Seminar Updates page at ExploreIntroSems for the most recent updates.
- Be sure to click the save button to record your selections and self-introduction. Look for an automatic confirmation message by email each time you save something to the IntroSems' VCA. You may revise your selections, ranking, and statement at any time during each quarterly sign-up window up until that quarter's deadline at which point all saved entries for that quarter will be submitted for instructor review.
Unable to Sign into the IntroSems' VCA via Two-Step Authentication
Signing into the IntroSems' VCA sign-up system requires two-step authentication using your SUNet ID and password. If you are abroad in AutumnQuarter and aren't able to log into the VCA via two-step to submit your Winter choices, please send your seminar ranking and self-introduction for Winter Quarter to email@example.com before November 16, 2020. IntroSems administrators will upload your Winter materials to the VCA on your behalf. You will have additional opportunities to sign up for Spring and Summer Quarter IntroSems in the IntroSems' VCA later in the year.
Tip: If this situation applies to you, please email your Winter IntroSem selections to us early, well in advance of the Nov 16 deadline, in case any of your choices include a seminar-specific question which you will also need to answer. A response to a seminar-specific question is required regardless of how you rank the seminar.