WHEN SUBMITTING AN ESSAY
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Hume Center for Writing and Speaking offers consultation and tutoring as well as workshops at the dorms on "Writing an Essay for IntroSems". Look for the schedule and for drop-in hours on the Writing Center's calendar.
- Tell a story about yourself and your interest in the subject. Faculty look for students with diverse backgrounds and attitudes. The better the instructor can understand your motivations and approach, the more likely he or she will be to keep you in mind in constructing the final class list.
- Write a well-crafted paragraph or two for the application questions. Essays have a limit of 3,000 characters (aproximately 350 words).
- Proofread and share your essays with an advisor, family member, or friend.
- Keep an open mind about what might interest you. Remember that while some seminars are over-subscribed, others will have spaces available after the submission deadline.
- Save your essays as you write, and be aware of deadlines. Your submission will not be accepted after the 5:00pm deadline.