“LSP has laid a foundation that will sustain me for the next four years of college.”
-Scholar, LSP I, Class of 2016
Why Choose LSP?
The Leland Scholars Program (LSP) gives 60 incoming students the opportunity to become familiar with both the people and space that will become home for the next four years. Through classes, field trips and residential living, LSP creates a genuine community of first year students. In this communal atmosphere, you will get a jumpstart on your college career both socially and academically!
Who Can Apply?
- Any incoming Stanford student who will be enrolling in their first quarter in the Fall (including international students!)
- First-generation and/or low-income students, and those from under-resourced high schools are encouraged to apply, however these are not requirements to participate in LSP
- First-generation: a student whose parent/guardian has not attained a U.S. bachelor's degree
- Low-income: students eligible for full or substantial financial aid, as defined by Financial Aid Office
- Under-resourced high school: schools with limited advanced currciular options (e.g. Advanced Placement, IB, etc)
How Can LSP Benefit Me?
Leland Scholars have unparalleled academic opportunities.
- Earn 3 course credits toward graduation
- Interact with faculty who teach first-year introductory courses
- Develop small research projects with faculty mentors
- Attend academic workshops developed exclusively for Leland Scholars
Leland Scholars are a part of a community of like-minded scholars.
- Meet fellow incoming frosh
- Learn from well-established upperclassmen
- Develop a true sense of belonging in your new home-away-from-home
- Visit Bay Area landmarks and attractions
A Typical LSP Day
Daily commitments vary throughout the summer, but a typical day might look like this:
9:30am - 11:30am: Writing Course or Preceptor Talk/Group Discussions
12:30-1:30pm: Free Time
1:30-3:30pm: Chemistry or Math Course
3:30-5pm: Academic Resources or Free Time
7-9pm: Study Hall
11pm: Nightly Dorm Check-In
In addition, each weekend there will be field trips and excursions around the SF Bay Area.