Grade Disputes and Course Concerns

Grade Disputes & Other Course Concerns

Concerns about your PWR course

In general, if you have concerns about your progress or classroom experience in your PWR course, you should meet with your instructor to address them.  If that meeting does not help to resolve the issue, you should make an appointment with the Associate Director, Christine Alfano, to discuss your concerns. 

Grade dispute on an assignment. 

If you have wish to question a grade you have received on an individual assignment, please write a note explaining your concerns, and submit it to your instructor, requesting a meeting to discuss the grade.  You may want, for example, to ask the instructor to read your essay again, reconsidering your work in light of points you have made about it.  If you wish, you can contact the Associate Director, Christine Alfano, for  help with this process; the Associate Director can also attend the meeting between you and your instructor, at your request.

Grade dispute on your final overall class grade. 

If you would like to dispute the grade you received for your PWR class, please write a memo explaining the reasons for your dispute and any other relevant information about the situation.  Submit the memo to your instructor, who will meet with you to discuss your dispute. Many misunderstandings or problems can be worked out in such a meeting. If you cannot resolve the dispute during this meeting and wish to pursue an official complaint or dispute, you must submit a formal grievance document with all materials to the Associate Director as outlined in section 2b of the Statement on Student Academic Grievance Procedures in the Stanford Bulletin within 30 days of the end of the academic quarter. A delay in filing a grievance will constitute grounds for rejection of the grievance. Make an appointment to see the Associate Director, Christine Alfano, in Sweet Hall 310. The Associate Director will advise you on any further course of action. For further information on Stanford policies regarding grade appeals, see the “Statement on Student Academic Grievance Procedures” in the Stanford Bulletin.