The Program in Writing and Rhetoric offers several elective courses every quarter that invite students to build on the skills they developed in PWR 1 and PWR 2, further developing their strategies of writing, rhetoric, and oral communication in a range of genres and modes.
These elective courses align with one of the following thematic tracks:
- Cultural Rhetorics. Note: All Cultural Rhetorics courses fulfill requirements for earning a Notation in Cultural Rhetorics (NCR).
- Science Communication. Note: All Science Communication courses fulfill requirements for earning a Notation in Science Communication (NSC).
- Digital Media and Visual Communications.
Questions about these courses? Write us at email@example.com.
- PWR 91NSC: Introduction to Science Communication (open to all; required of NSC students) Instructor: Emily Polk
- PWR 194EP: Introduction to Environmental Justice: Perspectives on Race, Class, Gender and Place. Instructors: Emily Polk and Sibyl Driver.
- PWR 99A: Portfolio Preparation I (required of NSC students). Instructor: Meg Formato
Also see Autumn 2020 elective courses from the Oral Communication Program.
- PWR 91CL: Self and Science. Instructor: Sarah Pittock
- PWR 91OID: Creating Your Digital Self: The What, How, and Why of Building an Online Presence. Instructors: Jenae Cohn, Helen Chen, and Margot Gilliland
- PWR 99B: Portfolio Preparation II (required of NSC students) Instructor: Meg Formato
- PWR 91JS: The Stanford Science Podcast. Instructor: Jenne Stonaker
- PWR 99A: Portfolio Preparation I (required of NSC and NCR students) Instructor: Meg Formato
Previous elective PWR courses not scheduled to be taught in 2020-21
- PWR 91CW: Seeing Is/And Believing: The Rhetoric of (Big) Data Visualization
- PWR 91EC: Farmers, Scientists, & Activists: Public Discourse of Food Economies
- PWR 91EE: Saving Lives with Picture Books.
- PWR 91EP: Communicating Climate Change: Navigating the Stories from the Frontlines
- PWR 91F: Finding Your Story
- PWR 91KD: Scripting Entertainments (for a Better YouTube).
- PWR 91KS: Design Thinking and Science Communication
- PWR 91KSB: Science and Storytelling
- PWR 91KTB: Game. Set. Match. Shaping Publics to Shape Movements
- PWR 91MC: Activist Rhetoric
- PWR 91SP: Doctors' Stories: The Rhetoric of Illness and Healing.
- PWR 91TB: Being [Blank] at Stanford. Instructor: Tessa Brown.
- PWR 194AB: Freedom's Mixtape: Music and Social Movements in African American Rhetorical Traditions
- PWR 194ABA: Purple Reign: Prince and Contemporary Black Rhetorics
- PWR 194AJ: Contemporary Black Rhetorics: Black Twitter and Black Digital Cultures
- PWR 194AV: Drawn from Life: The Power of True Stories in Autobio Comics
- PWR 194BR: The Rhetoric of Health and Medicine
- PWR 194CW: Brave New Worlds: (De)Coloniality and Mesitz@ Rhetorics.
- PWR 194DH: Empathy, Ethics, and Compassion Meditation: Practices in the Fight for Social Justice
- PWR 194KD: Technology and Human Values
- PWR 194KT: The Last Hopi On Earth: The Rhetoric of Entertainment Inequity
- PWR 194MF: In the Margins of the Laboratory Notebook: Race, Gender and the Rhetoric of Science
- PWR 194NCR: Introduction to Cultural Rhetorics
- PWR 194SB: The Rhetoric of Science
- PWR 194SS: Making Rhetoric Matter: Human Rights at Home