Do you come from a background where you grew up speaking or writing in a language other than or in addition to English? If so, you may be interested in applying for PWR’s Studio for multilingual writers, a 1-unit credit/no credit companion course for your PWR 1, ESF, or ITALIC 95W section. In the Studio, you'll continue to develop writing strategies to help you become a more confident writer, both in your writing class and in other contexts.
What is the Studio?
The PWR Studio (PWR 1WS) is a productive space where you and other multilingual student writers can practice writing strategies you can use in PWR 1, 2, and beyond. With a focus on group workshopping and individual consultations, the Studio is a 1-unit, credit/no credit course that you take in the same quarter as your PWR 1, ESF, or ITALIC writing section. The Studio has no required coursework or outside-of-class assignments.
In the Studio, you'll work in collaboration with your instructor and a community of other multilingual first-year writers on developing strategies essential to writing situations in PWR 1 and beyond, such as:
- developing your writing style
- interpreting and acting on assignment prompts and instructor feedback
- reading texts critically
- developing your brainstorming and drafting process
- finding, evaluating, and managing sources
- organizing a long essay
- improving your research and revision strategies
When is the Studio next offered?
The following is the Studio schedule for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Fall quarter 2020: Wednesday 8:30am-9:50am with Dr. Jennifer Johnson
- Winter quarter 2021: Thursday 8:30am-9:50am with Dr. Tesla Schaeffer
- Spring quarter 2021: Thursday 4:30pm-5:50pm with Dr. Norah Fahim
How do I apply?
We are currently accepting applications for the Fall PWR 1 Studio. The application deadline is Sunday, September 13, 2020, at noon. You will be asked to respond to the following questions on our online form:
- Describe your identity as a multilingual writer. Tell us about your experience writing/speaking in more than one language. (200 words max)
- Explain why you would like to enroll in the PWR 1 Studio. What would you like to learn? (200 words max)
Fall application results will be emailed to applicants by September 14 at 9 AM.
Questions? Email email@example.com