About the Stanford Writing Specialist Program
The Stanford Writing Specialist program locates lecturers from the Program in Writing and Rhetoric (PWR) in a range of departments and programs to support undergraduate writing and the teaching of writing across all four years of study. Funded by the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, the Writing Specialist program grew out of the 2012 SUES Committee’s recommendation that experienced writing instructors should serve as “formal writing consultants” in departments and programs across the university.
Writing Specialists support the culture of writing in affiliated departments/programs in a variety of ways, including
- Designing and offering writing workshops for students
- Consulting with faculty and graduate student instructors on assignment design and the integration of writing into courses
- Working with students and faculty in Writing in the Major classes
- Training TAs on effective commenting and grading practices for written work
- Supporting Honors students during the thesis-writing process
In addition, Specialists work in PWR teaching required writing classes and tutoring in the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking.