Campus Resources for Writers, Researchers, and Communicators


Writing and Rhetoric Resources

Help with Any Writing Project: The Hume Center for Writing and Speaking

The Hume Center for Writing and Speaking (HCWS) works with all Stanford writers to help them develop rich and varied abilities in every aspect of writing and communication. In free one-on-one sessions, HCWS writing consultants help students get started on assignments; address and overcome writer’s block; learn strategies for revising, editing, and proofreading; and understand academic conventions in their fields.

Whether students are working on a PWR or Thinking Matters essay, a writing project in the major or minor, an Honors thesis, a creative project, or fellowship or job applications, the HCWS can help develop effective strategies to improve both the current piece of writing and future writing.

Students can make an appointment or visit a drop-in consultant in the Hume Center or at several satellite locations across campus. The Hume Center is located in Building 250.  For further information, to see hours and locations, or to schedule an appointment with a consultant, visit the HCWS website.

Questions, Concerns, and Ideas about PWR: The UAB and PWR staff

The PWR Undergraduate Advisory Board (UAB) provides advice to the Faculty Director of PWR. Students are invited to bring concerns or ideas about PWR to the UAB. 

The Faculty Director, Associate Director, and co-director of Stanford Introductory Studies are available to meet with students about any issues of concern—or just to talk about writing.

Additional Resources for Writers

Help with Public Speaking and Presentations: The Oral Communication Program

The Oral Communication Program can help students improve oral presentation skills, prepare for an interview.  Visit the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking in Building 250 for appointments with Oral Communication Tutors.  Appointments with Oral Communication Tutors can be made online at Questions? Contact Doree Allen at 650.725.4149 or email

Peer Tutors in the Disciplines: The Center for Teaching and Learning

The Center for Teaching and Learning offers undergraduate peer tutoring in chemistry, biology, physics, math, and economics. For more information, including location and times for tutors, please go to the tutor homepage.

Support for Student Athletes: The Athletic Academic Resource Center (AARC)

AARC offers peer tutoring from the Center for Teaching and Learning and peer writing tutors from the Hume Writing Center. AARC is most frequently used by, and oriented toward, student-athletes but is available to any Stanford undergraduate. AARC is open Monday through Thursday nights from 7:00-10:00, and is located in the lower level of the Arrillaga Family Sports Center. For more details, visit ARRC's website. Questions? Contact Austin Lee at 650.723.3164 or

Support for International Students: The I-Center & English for Foreign Students Program

The Bechtel International Center offers a range of English classes for intermediate and advanced students. There is no tuition charge. Courses are open to Stanford students, post-doctoral scholars, and their family members. For more information including a schedule of classes, visit English Classes at the I-Center.

The English for Foreign Students Program (EFS) at the Stanford Language Center offers language support for international graduate students (courses are also open to undergraduates by permission of the instructor). To reserve a course space, students must submit their schedules to the EFS office by the first Tuesday of the quarter. The EFS program can also provide students with a list of tutors (“fee arrangements must be made independent of the English for Foreign Student program”). For further information, contact Tracey Riesen at or at 650.723.1310; or EFS Director Philip Hubbard at

Resources for Researchers

The Stanford Libraries and Archives

The Stanford Libraries and Archives are crucial to student success in PWR courses and to the research work of Stanford University. Each quarter, librarians create customized Research Guides for PWR courses. Current and archived Research Guides can be online. Students may also find the following useful during PWR 1:

Fellowship and Research Opportunities

Fellowship, grant, and research resources abound at Stanford. Many campus organizations have developed specific aids for undergraduates seeking fellowships and grants in their areas of interest. Bringing together information on research grants, internships, opportunities and awards, the office of Undergraduate Advising and Research is the campus nexus for students interested in becoming personally involved in the exciting quest of a research project. Students also might directly visit the Haas Center for Public Service at 562 Salvatierra Walk or the Overseas Resource Center at Bechtel International Center.


The Cantor Center for the Visual Arts, located on Lomita Drive at Museum Way, is an excellent source for comprehensive information on exhibits and standing collections, as well as on how to contact docents and curators.

Additional Resources for Students

Counseling Services

CAPS, or Vaden Student Health Center Counseling and Psychological Services, sponsors a range of workshops and support groups, including help for students diagnosed with writing phobias. Call 650.723.3785 (all hours) or visit their website.

The Bridge has peer counselors available to talk to students any time, and also sponsors a variety of workshops and support groups. Call 650.723.3392, drop in at 581 Capistrano Way, or visit their website.

Office of Accessible Education

The OAE, formerly the Student Disabilities Resource Center, is the primary resource for students who have a disability that may necessitate an academic accommodation or the use of auxiliary aids and services in a class. Students who have such a disability must initiate the request for an academic accommodation or the use of auxiliary aids and services with theOAE. The OAE will evaluate the request along with the required documentation, recommend appropriate accommodations, and prepare a verification letter dated in the academic term in which the request is being made. Students should contact the OAE as soon as possible; timely notice is needed to arrange appropriate accommodations. The Office of Accessible Education is located at 563 Salvatierra Walk. Call 650.723.1066 (or 650.723.1067 TTY) or visit OAE's website.

Sexual Harassment Policy Office

Students concerned about harassment, whether to themselves or to others, should contact the Sexual Harassment Policy Office at once. The SHPO is located at Griffin Drell House, 556 O'Connor Lane (former Lane A). Call 650.723.1583, email, or visit SHPO's website.