Summer Bridge FAQs
What are the differences between the programs?
Summer Program Overview (all programs)
- FREE programs offered at no cost to all students
- Earn units towards graduation
- Participate in lectures and activities with faculty/instructors from various disciplines at Stanford
- Get a jump start on math and computer science courses taught by Stanford lecturers/faculty and a data science project with instruction in Matlab or Python. Learn about and connect with Stanford opportunities and resources while building community with other Stanford first-year and upperclass engineering students. 4-week experience on-campus.
- Prepare to be successful during your first year by taking a 5-week foundational online writing (prep for PWR 1, ESF, ITALIC, or SLE) or math course (prep for Math 19 & Math 20) taught by Stanford lecturers/faculty. Earn 1 university credit. Connect with important resources on campus that will support you in your first year.
LSP Residential Highlights
- Get a jump start with a 1-unit college-level writing, math, or chemistry course taught by Stanford lecturers/faculty and a 1-unit research course. Learn about and connect with Stanford opportunities and resources while building community with other Stanford first-year and upperclass students. 4-week experience on-campus.
- Get a jump start with a 1-unit online math or writing course. Learn about and connect with Stanford opportunities and resources while building community with other Stanford first-year and upperclass students through this unique blend of online coursework and early September arrival to campus.
When are the program dates?
SSEA: Saturday, August 5, 2023 to Saturday, September 2, 2023
SOAR Writing and Math: Monday, July 25, 2022 to Friday, August 26, 2022
LSP Residential: Saturday, August 5, 2023 to Sunday, September 3, 2023
LSPxSOAR: June 26, 2023 to July 28, 2023 (online) & September 12-19, 2023 (on-campus)
How can I apply to the programs?
- Visit the LSP or SSEA websites to apply to SSEA, LSP, and LSPxSOAR. Their joint application will be open until May 21, 2023.
- Visit the SOAR Math website or the SOAR Writing website to apply to those programs. SOAR is accepting applications through June 12, 2023 at 5:00PM PDT.
Can I do both LSPxSOAR and SOAR?
The math and writing classes offered through both LSPxSOAR and SOAR use the same curricula so it would not make sense to be part of both programs, as the material covered would be redundant. There might be a small possibility to do LSPxSOAR math and SOAR writing (or vice versa) together, as long as space permits and the class times do not conflict. Our priority is to give the greatest amount of students an opportunity to participate in one summer bridge program.
Can I do SOAR and then come to campus and do the residential aspect of LSPxSOAR virtual?
Sort of. You are able to do SOAR and then the in-person aspect of LSPxSOAR but you would have to apply for the in-person experience separately through Thrive Pre-Orientation.