Department Endorsement Streamlined Submittal Instructions
As the "endorser" for your department, you are a department chair, director of undergraduate studies, faculty curriculum director, or equivalent. Now that your department is approved for the Ways streamlined pilot program, a department endorsement will trigger an expedited or “streamlined" review for your approved Way. If you are a faculty member or instructor wishing to submit your course, please return to the streamlined process or standard process webpage for guidance.
How do I submit streamlined courses?
- As endorser, please inform your instructors about the Ways streamlined process and your department’s approved Way.
- Ask your instructors to submit their streamlined courses on the Ways portal.
- Confirm the course(s) have been submitted on the Ways portal at wtwd.stanford.edu and select the “View/Edit” button. Enter your “Department”, "Requirement" which is the approved Way, and click the "Search" button. The list of your department's pending courses will appear.
- Download the Ways Pending Report Form (Excel spreadsheet) by clicking the "Pending Export" button.
- Please enter the approved Way, authorizing Endorser, and check ("X") the streamlined courses that you are submitting for expedited review. Save changes.
- Send the form to the Ways program at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the Ways course submission deadline date. If the endorsement form is received late, the course(s) may be reviewed via the standard process.
- Once the BGB has completed the expedited review, you will receive a certification notice typically within 2-3 weeks following a deadline date.
To view the quarterly deadlines for submitting new courses for academic year 2019-20, please view them here. Please submit your list of endorsed courses on the endorsement form no later than the quarterly deadline dates or courses will be reviewed via the standard review process.
You may want to enlist the help of your Student Services Officer (SSO) or course administrator to coordinate the streamlined submittal process for your department or help instructors submit courses. Fellows, PhDs, and grad students do not have access to the Ways portal since they are classified as students. They will need help of a SSO, faculty, or staff member to submit their courses.
Does the new streamlined process affect courses previously approved for Ways?
No, courses that were previously approved are not affected. The streamlined process is only for new course submissions.
What happens if an instructor is submitting the course for two Ways?
The instructor should submit the course for both Ways on the Ways portal. The streamlined Way will have an expedited review, but the second Way will be reviewed via the standard review process.
Can a course be submitted through the standard submittal process?
Participating in the pilot streamlined process is optional. Any course may be submitted through the standard submittal process. Also, an instructor may be unaware of the streamlined process or s/he is submitting a course that may not be an obvious fit for the department approved Way. If a course is submitted for a non-streamlined Way, it will be reviewed via the standard process.
Can my department be approved for two Ways for the streamlined review process?
For this pilot year, we are only approving one Way per department. At the end of the year, we will assess the program and consider expanding it to two-Ways.
Why is my department not included in the streamlined pilot program?
This year we only included departments with a natural fit to one Way category. At the end of the academic year, we will assess the effectiveness of the streamlined process including statistics on departmental course submissions for Ways. Then, we will consider expanding the program. At this time, the courses not included in the pilot program are: courses submitted for two Ways categories, Engaging Diversity (ED) courses, Ethical Reasoning (ER) courses, Interdisciplinary Programs (IDPs), professional schools (e.g., Medicine, Law, Education, etc.), off campus programs (BOSP, SiNY, SIW), and VPUE programs (e.g., ILEs, Thinking Matters, advanced PWR).
If I have questions regarding the streamlined process, who do I contact?
- Contact email@example.com