September 12, 2019
Check out these two blog posts on the Overseas Seminar: Bio-Cultural Diversity and Community Based Conservation
September 11, 2019
BOSP Spring Quarter 2019-20 Application Open!
August 20, 2019
BOSP Program in Hong Kong Postponed Until Autumn 2020
APRIL 29, 2019
APRIL 3, 2019
No events currently listed.
Every Stanford undergraduate should give serious consideration to studying overseas.
Regardless of the academic path you choose, you will be enriched by time spent in another country. Achieving cultural literacy and gaining substantive understanding of other perspectives in the world will deepen your awareness of yourself, your educational goals, and your own society. Nearly one-half of each graduating class studies abroad through one of Stanford's overseas programs.
To achieve the goals of educating students for global citizenship with the necessary competencies for negotiating and acting within a global horizon, BOSP offers rigorous academic and experiential programming, affording students an opportunity to be more reflective about the world and their place within it by:
* teaching sensitivity to cultural and political differences through critical study of contemporary issues regionally and globally;
* fostering student confidence in their ability to adapt to new challenges and diverse circumstances;
* challenging students to deepen their language skills and cultural knowledge through cultural immersion;
* teaching students to become more adept at cross-cultural communication and international problem solving;
* offering students opportunities to connect what they learn in the classroom with other aspects of their lives and experience.
Students returning from overseas study begin to achieve that kind of integration. Our goal is to help students better achieve integration between their local ambitions and global aspirations, better prepared to meet the responsibilities of local, national, and global citizenship.