Transferring courses between degrees

Coterm Course Transfer

Please submit the Coterminal Course Transfer Form before you petition to graduate. Individual departments may have earlier deadlines so make sure you are communicating with the graduate departmental advisor.


  • If your petition is related to courses on undergraduate transcript, please use the appropriate undergraduate form. This includes petitions to exceed max units if both records are open. 

Requests for Exception to Academic Policy 

Note regarding Petitions to Exceed Maximum Units: If you are in the undergraduate tuition group and are seeking an overload of 23 units or less, you should work with your Academic Advising director, AARC advisor, or the coterm advisor to make the required petition to exceed maximum units. If you are in the graduate tuition group, you may enroll in up to 24 units, though such a high unit count is generally discouraged.

  • If your petition is related to a course on the graduate transcript, please use the graduate form.

Petition to Change Course Enrollment

Request to Withdraw After the Deadline

Leave of Absence

You must petition for leave in both programs if the undergraduate degree is still open. Leave is granted at the discretion of your graduate department for one year maximum (eight quarters, including summers) at a time and may not exceed a cumulative total of two years. Note that you must complete the graduate degree within three years from matriculation.

 Leave of Absence 

Special Graduate and Undergraduate Registration/Tuition Statuses

  • All students need an enrollment status to graduate. If you are not actively enrolled, there are special statuses, but they are very limited to coterms. 
  • Graduation Quarter is a status that allows students that have completed all degree requirements to have an enrollment status for a minimal fee for the purpose of applying to graduate. Coterms with both records open may only apply if BOTH degrees will be conferred that quarter 
  • With the exception of students covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act who have been recommended for an approved Reduced Course Load by the Student Disabilities Resource Center (SDRC), coterms with both programs open are not eligible to apply for special registration and tuition statuses aside from graduation quarter (see above). However, after the undergraduate degree conferral, you may petition for special graduate registration and tuition statuses. 


Do not forget to petition for your undergraduate degree conferral in axess. Also note there is additional paperwork if you are a double major or have a minor:



Considerations for keeping your undergraduate record open beyond 12 quarters. 


See Also